Approaching the Scene links
Here is the gear that I regularly use.
Fluid head camera SUPPORT links:
Here's everything you need to get your camera on a fluid head (Use an L-bracket to get vertical):
- Manfrotto 500AH fluid head: cheaper right now at Amazon vs B&H (Don't buy a larger model, this is the sweet spot for DSLR and mirrorless)
- Large Arca-Swiss style clamp (attach to Manfrotto rail to clamp your body's L-Bracket): Amazon B&H
- Long Manfrotto plate to mount to each of your long lenses with a collar and foot. Amazon B&H
Panning Clamps: to use for advanced panoramas on the fluid head or to do a level pan with a ballhead
- Really Right Stuff Panning Clamp: Not cheap, but cheaper at B&H vs Amazon
- A cheaper panning clamp is available from China Amazon (also search E-bay)
To level the head using your current tripod with a flat plate and/or center column you also need one of these between them to easily get level:
If you want to have the most optimized fluid head setup possible, then get a bowl tripod and adaptor like these:
- Induro 303 bowl tripod: Amazon B&H
- Gitzo 3543XLS xtra long ultralight 79" carbon tripod (my favorite, but expensive)
- Induro bowl tripod leveling adaptor kit (bowl and half ball leveling adpator): Amazon B&H
- Bowl and leveling adaptor alternative in case Induro kit above is sold out. You'll need both parts for either the Gitzo or Induro.
ADvanced Panorama Equipment
2 Panning Clamps (See above in Fluid Head Section)
Kirk Nodal Slider: B&H (worth every penny to me)
My Cameras and lenses:
My current cameras and lenses are linked on this gear link page
The Hoya filters I use: Use the coupon code HHPWORKSHOP for 20% off on the Hoya website.
Microfiber Cloths: Amazon
Neil Pryde faux wheeled golf bag (to check long tripods and all your other things on flights):
L.L. Bean X-tra large rolling duffle bag (to check long tripods and all your other things on flights)
Headlamp Princeton Tec Vizz: Amazon
Outdoor Research Stormsensor Gloves: Amazon
For full disclosure know that I'm an ambassador for Hoya, Black Rapid and Kirk Enterprises. The reason I work with those brands is that I believe in their products and trust them myself in the field.